Greek Lemon Yoghurt Cake Yiaourtopita
- Heat oven to 180oC
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add eggs, one at a time, beating after each one till fully mixed.
- Add lemon zest and beat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the semolina, flour, baking powder and almond meal.
- Gently fold through the beaten eggs, sugar and butter mixture
- Add yoghurt and lemon juice and gently fold in flour mixture
- Pour into a well greased springform pan.
- Will make one large cake or two smaller ones.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the syrup by heating together in a small saucepan and reducing until it thickens slightly and becomes syrupy.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven.
- Pour hot syrup over cake when warm.
- Cake will keep for a while in the fridge and improves with time.
Serve with thick yoghurt and decorate with chopped pistachios.
TOP TIP: Thoroughly line your baking tin with non-stick paper because you need to pour the syrup over the cake while it is hot and still in the tin – if you don’t line it properly the acid in the syrup will react with the metal from the tin and make it taste yuk!