Greek Lemon Yoghurt Cake Yiaourtopita
- Heat oven to 180oC
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add eggs, one at a time, beating after each one till fully mixed.
- Add lemon zest and beat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the semolina, flour, baking powder and almond meal.
- Gently fold through the beaten eggs, sugar and butter mixture
- Add yoghurt and lemon juice and gently fold in flour mixture
- Pour into a well greased springform pan.
- Will make one large cake or two smaller ones.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the syrup by heating together in a small saucepan and reducing until it thickens slightly and becomes syrupy.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven.
- Pour hot syrup over cake when warm.
- Cake will keep for a while in the fridge and improves with time.
Serve with thick yoghurt and decorate with chopped pistachios.
TOP TIP: Thoroughly line your baking tin with non-stick paper because you need to pour the syrup over the cake while it is hot and still in the tin – if you don’t line it properly the acid in the syrup will react with the metal from the tin and make it taste yuk!
Di, I'm finding your whole blog very inspiring! I will send the link in to a couple of people who I know will love it also. Good on you.